Boys' Gymnastics wins MIAA State Championship for fifth consecutive year

Senior Steven Tan performs his routine on parallel bars.

Boys’ gymnastics won the 2019 MIAA State Championship in the SOA last Friday night. “Two and a half months, and this is the show,” said Tom Steeves, a head coach with Bill Martin. “The team stepped up.”

Newton swept the competition, winning first place on all six events, scoring a total of 193.4 points. Attleboro placed second, scoring 172.5 points, and Burlington finished in third with 167.2 points.

North’s win was a team effort, as at least three players on the podium for each event. “I feel thankful,” said senior Sam Arber, a captain with seniors Michael Mitelman and Steven Tan, and junior Jake Forbes, “thankful for the whole team.”

Arber led the the way for North, winning rings, pommel horse, and high bar, enroute to winning the all-around title with a score of 51.9. “I kept my head in the game,” said Arber. “I stayed in the zone.”

Steeves added that “any gymnast who scores over a 50 is exceptional,” and that his performance was “reflective of his work.”

Sophomore Matt Hassan had the highest single event score of the night with a 9.7 on the floor exercise. His routine included a round-off double full, a skill he planned on putting in during warm ups.

In their final high school meet, Mitelman and Tan both found their way onto the podium. Mittleman finished sixth on high bar and tied for third on the parallel bars, while Tan placed third on rings. “The captains were just outstanding,” said Steeves. “It’s easy to follow someone who sets such a good tone.”

Freshman Adrian Michael contributed to the team’s performance as well, finishing top six in all events. He tied Arber on vault with an 8.8 after landed a tsukahara. “[We have] exceptional up and coming freshman,” said Steeves.

The State Championship capped off an undefeated season for the team. “All the boys contributed,” said Arber. “We’re truly a family.”