Baseball loses to Walpole, looks to improve on offense

Baseball, 5-7, lost to Walpole 3-0 at home last Wednesday in a game where North struggled to get anything going on offense.
The first half inning of the game started off well for the Tigers, in part because of junior Jack Goldsmith’s performance on the mound. The pitcher made his first varsity start and recorded two strikeouts in the first inning.
“He handled the pressure really well,” said math teacher Joe Siciliano, the head coach.
The top of the second inning was a different story, as the Tigers made multiple errors in the field. A collision between Spencer Checkoway and Dante Taylor in the infield rolled the ball to the outfield, allowing one runner to score for Walpole. North was then able to turn a 5-4-3 double play to get out of the jam.
Walpole struck again in the fifth inning when John Brady hit a double to left-center, scoring two more runs to extend the visiting team’s lead.
North’s offense also struggled due to Walpole’s Cam Schlitter amazing performance, who pitched a complete game, striking out 13 batters in the process.
“He’s a tough pitcher,” said Siciliano. “He’s only a junior so we’ll see him again.”
After the game, senior Ryan McLaughlin, a captain with seniors Thomas Byrne, Spencer Checkoway, and junior Cole Whitehouse, said, “We’re going to focus a lot more on fielding during batting practice. Seeing balls off a live bat can be very different.”
North will host Weymouth today at 3:45.