Boys' baseball falls short in last inning comeback

Baseball, 7-4, fell to Weymouth in a 5-2 loss Wednesday, May 3. “We made a few errors which can’t hurt us, but we couldn’t get it going on offense which really hurt us,” said sophomore pitcher Justin Butera.
Butera started for the Tigers, and pitched well in the first three innings. “I was hitting my spots and trusting my teammates to make plays in the field,” said Butera.
In the top of the fourth, Weymouth’s cleanup hitter, sophomore Cam Munchbach, drove in a run with a single up the middle. Math teacher and North head coach Joe Siciliano then called a meeting at the mound, trying to calm his young pitcher.
A base hit from scored another run, then Munchbach scored on a dropped third strike to make the score 3-0 after four innings.
“It started with the error at third base, which is a tough play to make. But that’s what started it because they scored their first run,” said Siciliano.
Sophomore Kenneth Schechter came in for Butera but allowed two more runs in the top of the seventh. With men on first and second, a base hit to left center drove in one run. Then another base hit brought in a run to increase Weymouth’s lead to 5-0.
In the bottom of the seventh, a triple from sophomore Cole Whitehouse, the team’s third baseman, gave the Tigers a little momentum, as teammate junior John Grady followed with a single, driving in his teammate Whitehouse. Senior Jimmy Hodgson doubled to left field, after Weymouth’s left fielder poorly played Hodgson’s line drive. A strikeout from sophomore Henry Bonenfant ended the game.
Despite North’s offensive efforts in the seventh inning, Weymouth’s pitcher senior Zach Bouhov was dominant. Pitching a complete game, he finished with 11 strikeouts, bringing down seven of the nine Tigers he faced.
Reflecting on the Tigers’ poor offensive performance, Siciliano said, “We haven’t seen a lefty like Bouhov who spots the ball and changes speeds so well. I think we just need a little more practice against someone of that nature.”