Girls' swim and dive off to great start

by Adam Rabinowitz
Girls’ swim and dive, 6-0, has had a great start of the season, including a victory against rival Framingham, according to senior Sasha MacDonald, a captain with seniors Marissa Best, Amanda Graf, and Katherine Mariano.
MacDonald said, “It was a really close meet and we pulled it together in the very end.”
According to Best, the team has been improving both on and off the field. “The season has been going great so far. The girls are really bonding as a team, everyone’s times are going down, and we are undefeated,” she said.
According to MacDonald, the new swimmers have been great thus far.
“There are a ton of new freshman, both swimmers and divers who have added a lot to the team. Freshmen Katelin Luce, Serena Ly, and Lilli Pomper have made sectionals and states already and there are a bunch of freshman on the brink,” she said.
Best said that she has very high hopes for this year. “We have fast girls who practice hard along with a great coaching staff. I want us to go undefeated in our league,” she said.
MacDonald said that challenge of three new coaches was initially hard to deal with.
“We have a lot of new leadership but so far it has been going pretty well. Obviously it’s a lot of change to adjust to but the team is handling it well,” she said.
According to Best, coaching hasn’t been the only change for the Tigers this year.
“We have three practice groups where as in the past we only had two groups with JV and Varsity split in half. I like having the three groups because there are no labels on people’s swimming abilities,” she said.
The Tigers face their rival Needham at home Tuesday, Oct. 14 at 4. Best said this is the perfect time for the Tigers to work on their cheering.
“We need to improve our cheering especially during diving. It would be great if we could have some fans come to our biggest meet, Needham. Last year they were the only team that we lost to. It would be great to have some school wide support. Everyone swims faster when there are more people cheering,” she said.
The Tigers next face Dedham away on Friday.