Promising season ahead for football

Team members practice in the preseason. Photo by Leah Budson.

Team members practice in the preseason. Photo by Leah Budson

MacKenzie Silvia
Football, 2-0, is looking to “face one opponent at a time and challenge themselves each week to improve on physical and intellectual skills,” said Mike Bower, a coach with Peter Capodilupo.
Senior captain Andrew DeNucci, a captain along with seniors Curtis Beatrice, Chris Quinn, and Devaughn White, attributes the success thus far to the team chemistry.
“A lot of us have been playing together since as early as third grade,” DeNucci said. “We also have a lot of returning players which gives us an advantage.”
Bower believes the players’ trust and care for each other will take them far this season.
“Teams can not achieve any measure of success without having the ability to trust the guy next to you. Because the guys have shown they can consistently practice and prepare at a high level, they are easier to count on during game day. When you have 50+ guys that care for each other’s success, that is a tough team to contend with,” Bower said.
The Tigers hope to make the playoffs and make it past the first round, in which the team lost to Bridgewater-Raynham last year. With its strong defense and work ethic, Beatrice believes the team can go deep into the State Tournament.
“We hope that our defense can perform to the level it performed against Waltham every week,” Beatrice said after a 21-3 win again Waltham. “Our future goals are to have a winning season and to be a high seed in the playoffs.  We hope to make some noise in the playoffs this year and get a couple of wins, which we are very capable of doing.”
The team will continue to work hard and hopefully “keep up the intensity that will make us hard to beat,” DeNucci said.
“This year will be more successful than the past and very memorable for us seniors.”