Newton North in New Orleans: Chance meeting with Snoop Dogg highlight of first day

The view from Logan Airport before the flight. Photo by Leah Budson.

by Leah Budson
Each year, a group of students from this school goes on a service trip to New Orleans to help repair houses devastated by Hurricane Katrina. This blog will give you daily updates, through text, interviews, pictures, and videos, of our trip. The group includes students in the Leadership in a Diverse Society course, carpentry major students, students from the Blue Hills Regional Technical School, and advanced TV production students. This blog will focus more closely on the Leadership class, as the writer is a student in that program.
Day 1: Sunday, April 6
You see, I thought I had lucked out being on the group with the 8:57 a.m. flight rather than the 6:30 one. This morning, however, when I arrived at the airport, the first words I heard were, “What? They met Snoop Dogg?”

Seniors Mariajose Lozada-Oliva and someone meet take an Instagram with Snoop Dogg. Photo courtesy Mariajose Lozada-Oliva.
Seniors Mariajose Lozada-Oliva and Hiroki Shibuya take a photo with Snoop Dogg. Photo courtesy Mariajose Lozada-Oliva.

Yup. The ten students on the early flight had happened to run into Snoop Dogg, the famous rapper, at Logan airport this morning.
Seniors Mariajose Lozada-Oliva and Hiroki Shibuya took a photo with him before the flight.
Lozada-Oliva said that the experience was exciting. “That’s how I know the rest of New Orleans is going to be great. It’s a sign for the rest of the trip.”
After a layover in Chicago, and a turbulent flight to New Orleans, we finally arrived at the city we would be spending the next week in. Though the area was covered in fog, the hot, humid weather was a relief after weeks of prolonged winter in Newton.
The afternoon was a quiet one: we had time to settle into the church we were staying at and then went to eat in a nearby neighborhood.