Math team has successful season

by Amanda Hills
Math team participated in the final meet of the regular season Wednesday, Feb. 8 at Canton, according to math teacher Elisse Ghitelman, the team adviser. She said that this school’s team finished the season two points ahead of Canton, placing this school in second place in the league for the second year in a row.
Senior Caroline Ellison, a captain, said that the meet consisted of five individual rounds and one team round, with three questions per round. Each round covered a different math topic, such as Algebra 1, Algebra 2, geometry and pre-calculus.
Ellison commented that this year’s team has many young members and that “more advanced categories, such as trigonometry, have been a challenge.” But she said that the younger students were “especially strong.”
According to Ghitelman, junior Christina Chen and freshman Kavish Gandhi ended the season tied for third highest score in the league out of over 250 students. She said, “This is one of the strongest teams we have ever had representing this school.”
Ellison also noted that team members put in a lot of effort to prepare for meets on their own time. “Everyone on the team studies for the meets in and outside of practices. Many of us do math programs outside of school.”
The team’s final competition will be Monday, April 2 against Shrewsburry.