Holman named finalist for Brookline headmaster position

[media-credit name=”Samantha Libraty” align=”alignnone” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Vice principal Holman was selected as a finalist as headmaster for Brookline

by Samantha Libraty
Vice principal Deborah Holman is one of two finalists in the running for the headmaster position at Brookline, she said.
Holman and the other finalist, Wellesley Middle School principal Jamie Chisum, were selected out of the 11 candidates who applied in December, according to Holman.
“It was an unexpected opportunity, and after thinking a lot on my own and consulting with colleagues from this school and Brookline High, I decided to apply for the position,” Holman said.

“The opportunity to become a principal or headmaster has popped up many times in my career. I had good intuition that the Brookline process would be a great experience, hence I decided to apply for the headmaster position at Brookline High.”

When Holman put in her application to the Brookline Public Schools last December,  she had to write several writing prompts, “because a school leader must have good writing skills,” and also went in for an interview, she said.
“I also had to go in front of two panels, each consisting of 18 people including students, parents, teachers and central office personnel,” Holman added.
The finalist who will be chosen for the headmaster position will be decided in February, she said.
If Holman becomes the headmaster of Brookline High, she said, “I have no idea who would succeed me; we will get there when we get there.”
“If I become the headmaster, the first thing I will do is listen, listen, listen. I will listen to students, faculty and parents and talk about their hopes and concerns with the leadership transition,” Holman said.

“Brookline High is a wonderful, amazing school just like here, and it would be a great opportunity to lead a school of such similar caliber,” she said.