‘Fearless’ JV players hit hard

by Gloria Li
With strong attacking and setting throughout the season, JV volleyball, 15-3, was “the hardest hitting team in the conference,” according to  coach Jason Souza.
With a tall blocking defense, the girls were “fearless big- swing takers,” he said.
The team, however, worked on its consistency in serving, Souza said.
In order to aid the players in improving, Souza coached throughout the season according to the ideal that “practices should involve game-like drills.”
Souza said he thinks players should “pursue every ball, hustle at all times and pass and set off the net constantly.”
The team grew over the season, Souza said. “I’m extremely proud of these girls.North volleyball is exceptionally demanding, and they rose to the call of duty.”
This season, Souza noted that the most memorable moment was when sophomore Michaela Mastroiani jump-served for set point at Brookline.
Souza said he relishes the fact that she was brave enough to attempt the maneuver.
According to freshman Marisa Salvucci, the highlight of the season was “at Brookline when we lost the second game, but made a great comeback during the third.”
According to Souza, sophomores Jenna Hogan and Emma Kaloupek were great passers with consistent serves, while sophomore Emma Tavolieri and freshman Bali Connors “took big swings in the front row.”
Overall, Souza said that “all athletes were a delight to coach.”
Junior Madison Beatrice noted that while Souza was hard on the JV team, it helped the Tigers make improvements in their game-play strategies.