Cabots Ice Cream and Restaurant retains classic appeal for students

A year after Cabots Ice Cream and Restaurant changed hands from its longtime owners, the Prestejohn family, to Kay and Kevin Masterson, many North students still fill the restaurant for its classic diner food and atmosphere. 

“I have been going to Cabots for eight years, ever since I was in elementary school. When I heard the restaurant was getting transferred to new ownership I was scared that the restaurant would not be the same, but I feel like the new owners have kept a lot of what makes me love Cabots. I like that they kept all the decor and the same menu,” said freshman Julia Jauregui.

The Mastersons, who own Johnny’s Luncheonette in Newton Center, acquired the restaurant from Joe Prestejohn last March. Because the Prestejohn family had operated the business for so long, the new owners said involving them was an important part of making a smooth transition.  

“Joe Prestejohn built a wonderful business in the past fifty-plus years that doesn’t need much changing,” said Kay Masterson. “We’re thrilled that Joe is still involved and works a few shifts a week and helps with special events. We have retained all of the full-time staff and welcomed back many seasonal employees who work summers.”

Kay Masterson added that some minor changes have been made to the restaurant..

“We have added a management team to streamline purchasing and relieve the long hours that were historically worked by Joe and his sister,” she said. 

The new owners kept the classic family dinner parts of the restaurant that the people who visit love, while adding delivery and items to the menu. 

“I feel like they are giving bigger portions for meals, like the chicken fingers and fries,” said freshman Kira Levin. 

One Cabots addition is the German Chocolate cake Ice cream, a combination of chocolate-coconut-based ice cream with chunks of brownie fudge and caramel ripple. 

According to Kay Masterson, “Cabots is a long-term investment we plan on being there for many years,” and “We’re thrilled to be able to continue to offer the Cabot’s experience to the residents of Newton and the many customers who come from other towns and cities around the Commonwealth and to all the people we see who stop in a while visiting Massachusetts.”