Veteran custodian Dave Murphy takes head role

Gabe Kolodner
New head custodian Dave Murphy.

North is a big school, so taking care of it is a big responsibility. Luckily for North, “the big kahuna” Dave Murphy is up to the task.

As the new head custodian, Murphy took over the position at North last month after 41 years of working in the custodial department in the Newton Public Schools.

Over the past month, Murphy has been working to oversee building management and keep track of potential scheduling conflicts like double-booking the SOA to multiple groups. Murphy replaced previous head custodian Timothy Keefe, who resigned earlier this year.

“The adjustment here has been good and I’m adapting to the new position pretty well,” said Murphy.

In the custodian union, department heads are chosen by custodians themselves, considering experience and work ethic, with the top three workers selected for the role.

Murphy began working at North as interim head custodian this past Thanksgiving, which helped him become accustomed to the school after working at Bigelow for a decade and South for eight years. 

“I think he was the best choice to put here,” said fellow custodian Bobby Falanga. ”It’s been a smooth transition.” 

According to Murphy, he is enjoying the new position because of North’s newer building and heating system compared to South’s building, where he used to work.

“It’s a newer building, so there are fewer problems with the heating,” said Murphy. “It’s more up-to-date than Newton South.” 

Murphy added that he is settling in well, finds North to be a friendly place, and is excited to learn more about the school.