AACC and HLU Club celebration days rescheduled following strike

Due to the Newton Teachers Association (NTA) strike, North’s Asian American Culture Club (AACC) and Hispanics and Latinos Undidos (HLU) Club have rescheduled their club celebration days.

According to English teacher Michele Leong, who advises the AACC club, AACC day has been rescheduled from Thursday, Feb. 1 to Thursday, April 4, with plans to host a variety of speakers and a student panel at the event. 

The HLU club has yet to finalize a date to reschedule HLU day from Jan. 26, according to Spanish teacher Ana Tellado, who advises the club. 

“I’m disappointed we had to reschedule, but our advisers make the club run, and we need to do whatever we can do to support them. Things will get rescheduled, and it will happen eventually,” said sophomore Malia Thompson-Leong, a speaker on this year’s AACC student panel.

AACC Day will highlight an Asian-American shoe brand and a student panel. According to club officer, sophomore, May Bunton.

“We had other speakers planned but because of the strike unfortunately we need to find new ones,” added Bunton.

This year’s HLU Day is set to feature a bake sale and presentations from guest speakers about Latinos in business and politics, according to sophomore Veronica Schiff, a HLU club officer. Guest speakers at the event will include Albie Alvarez-Cote, the owner of the local business, “Che! Empanada” on Washington St, and Waltham City Councilor Jonathan Paz, who is a Bolivian-American. 

“We are hoping that teachers will include HLU day as part of their curriculum,” said Schiff.

Both clubs have resumed meetings promptly since the end of the strike and are working on more events to come.

“Even though we had to adjust, we are very excited. We will have amazing speakers and panels,” said English teacher Charlene Beh, who advises AACC.