CTE celebrates teachers with cupcakes

North students and staff flooded Main St as cupcakes were distributed to faculty members for teacher appreciation week during f-block, Friday, May 7, in an effort organized by various Newton Public Schools (NPS) Career & Technical Education programs. 

Students and staff set up a table stand with decorative posters, words of gratitude, and a list of contributors. Cupcakes lined the table, allowing educators to pick up their treats whenever they preferred. 

“I think it has been a really challenging year for educators, so it’s a great thing for teachers and educators to feel appreciated,” said guidance counselor Brendan Amedio. “I thought it was pretty cool and so well put together.”

Kathleen Duff, the director of Career & Technical Education at North, added that students mainly coordinated the event. “This was student driven, which was the most amazing thing,” said Duff. “Teachers are there as guidance and help these students bring their ideas to life.”

The process of delivering the cupcakes included various departments at North. The Culinary department baked cupcakes, which were placed in boxes designed by Graphics, while Marketing spearheaded the advertising efforts of the project. The Drafting department also designed a QR Code with a brief thank you statement.

“We had a department meeting, and Graphics presented the idea that they were doing this with Culinary,” said Duff. “Early Education & Care came up with thank you words, and then Drafting did the digital thank you.” 

Duff added that she hopes to see more initiatives like this event at North.  “I would love to do a project in the future where all of the programs have a piece in it.”