Carpentry students install senior gift benches on Main Street

Carpentry teacher Garrett Tingle works with students to install the prototype benches. (Photo by Joelle Sugianto)

Two wooden benches made by carpentry students were installed on Main Street, Wednesday, Oct. 10. The benches are serving as prototypes for the Class of 2018 gift.
“I pointed out the benches to my friend from South when she was here because I love them so much,” said senior Jordan Young. “It is great to finally have a place to sit that isn’t the floor or a table. It sets the mood in the hallway to feel more friendly, which matches how open Main Street is.”

Junior Sammy Schrager said she was not expecting the benches, and they came as a welcome surprise. “It’s a start that there is more seating because sitting on the floor is uncomfortable.”
The benches are like the show Friends’ Central Perk’s Cafe couch,” said senior Maya Mathews, the Class of 2019 president. “They are a simple piece of furniture, but play an integral role in the lives they impact.”

Juniors Ethan Kuo and Douglas Williams enjoy lunch on the prototype benches. (Photo by Joelle Sugianto)

However, not all students support the benches’ placement. “The benches are a good idea, but they don’t match the rest of the furniture that has recently been put on Tiger Drive,” said senior Angela Baack. “They take away from the importance of the mural behind them.”
The Class of 2018 representatives chose the benches as last year’s senior gift. Mathews explained that funds at the end of the year “are given as gifts in one way or another to the school as a boost for the Class of 2023 student council or as a gift from the entire senior class,” she said.