Golf finishes sixth at State Sectionals, lauds successful season

by Blake Krantz
Golf, 10-3, finished 6th out of 11 teams at State Sectionals Monday, with junior Dan Kurson shooting a 73, qualifying him to move on individually to States at the Haven Country Club next week.
Senior Owen Boucher shot a 79 and Junior Matt Levinson shot an 85 for the team at Sectionals, among the main “highlights” from the match according to Boucher, a captain with senior Geoffrey Cole.
Cole and seniors Alex Greenberg and T.J Melendez also competed for the Tigers Monday.
Boucher credited the team’s accomplishments throughout much of this season to “depth and experience,” with different players picking each other up in various matches.
Physical education teacher Bob MacDougall, the coach, also emphasized the importance of this “team depth,” and added that “lots of things change in the off-season, with graduation and new players coming in,” but that he was “impressed with the time and work that the players put in” before this season.
According to MacDougall, the benefits of this hard work could be seen throughout the year, and could be evident next year as well.
“It allowed us to beat teams that we struggled with last season. I hope this season gave the players the confidence to compete at higher levels,” said MacDougall.
The season is now over for the majority of the Tigers, and Cole mentioned that this year contained “a lot of positive growth from a lot of underclassmen” for the team, who also “thrived from consistency” from its top players throughout the year.
According to Boucher, it has been a long time since the Tigers have had 10 wins in a season, just one aspect of the “very successful season.”
Looking forward, Boucher explained that “graduating seven seniors will be tough” for the team, but there is definitely still “a lot of young talent for next year.”
MacDougall had a similarly positive outlook for next season, stating that “a lot of kids found success this year, and hopefully they take the same steps that they did last off-season.”
Finally, Cole hopes that the team will be able to follow up what he labeled a “fun and good season overall” in the coming years.