Boys' gymnastics prepares for the State Championship meet

By MacKenzie Silvia
Boys’ gymnastics, 2-1, needs “to work as a unit,” said head coach Bill Martin.
“We have a lot of potential and we work hard,” said junior Vitaliy Kates, a captain with senior Alex Lund.
The team, now combined with South, is working on performing as one team despite the combined team.
“Getting South into the North system is a little bit of a challenge but it’s working well,” Martin said. “We lost a number of seniors and have maybe five or six people that are new to the sport.”
“The goals we put forth: trying to make yourselves look like gymnasts and being prepared to work and perform, are working out,” Martin said.
Kates said that he believes the team “needs to be more focused on the little things to be more successful for the future” and to win the State Championship.
“Our goal is to win States and bring back that trophy,” Kates said.
Rather than the team record, Martin said he is more concerned with getting all of his players healthy and ready for the postseason.
“We are not too upset losing today’s meet because we’re missing two or three guys, one of them being our best gymnast,” Martin said.
With hard work and team chemistry, Lund believes the team can be very successful.
“We have a strong team and a real good shot at the State Championship,” Lund said. “We expect a similar competition this year at the States meet.”
“We’re eyeing the State Championship which we lost last year by less than three-tenths of a point,” Martin said. “So, that’s the big goal which I think is very possible.”