Golf finishes season well at North Regional Tournament

Junior Owen Boucher playing golf
Junior Owen Boucher swings during a home match Oct. 9 against Needham and Brookline. Photo by Robin Donohoe.

By Adam Rabinowitz
Golf recently finished its season at the North Sectional Tournament, finishing in 8th place out of 15 teams.
According to coach Bob MacDougall, the course was rough, and there were high scores all around. “We weren’t the only ones struggling. However, we just didn’t have enough to make it,” he said.
According to junior Owen Boucher, a captain with senior Ethan Plotkin, it was an amazing experience for the team.
“Before Monday, I was the only one who had played in a State Tournament atmosphere. We had one senior, three juniors, and two sophomores participating. Considering how young we are as a team, I thought we did pretty well,” he said.
MacDougall added that considering the rough start to the season, he was impressed with how the Tigers ended the season.
“Starting a season 0-3, and then qualifying for the State Tournament, now that’s making a statement!” he said.
Boucher said that he credits the team’s capability to turn the season around to a few players stepping it up. “A lot of guys stepped this year like juniors Geoffrey Cole, Jonathan Wang, and sophomores Dan Kurson and Pat Mullowney. This team was a lot of fun and I can’t wait to make another run for the tournament next year!” he said.
Overall, Boucher said the Tigers could get better at playing under pressure.
“As a team we could improve on playing in stroke play tournaments in the offseason. It is very important to feel comfortable in that kind of pressure,” he said.
The Tigers were also represented by Boucher at the Individual State Meet Monday, where the best golfers in Massachusetts compete for the individual champ
According to Boucher, he had a great time, even though he didn’t play his best.
“I was playing pretty well and then I blew up on a hole and never really recovered. However, it was a great experience. The kids that I faced were the best, so it’s still nice to be considered one of them,” he said.
Boucher also added that if the team practices hard in the offseason, he expects them to do very well next year.
“The players should play more golf in the offseason. They should play more stroke play tournaments, so that we are ready when the season comes along. We have a lot of rising seniors, and we should be a force in the Bay State.”