Boys' volleyball looks towards promising postseason

Senior Preston Yong goes up for a spike against Natick. Photo by Judith Gibson-Okunieff.

by Adam Rabinowitz
Finishing the regular season with a tough loss to Acton-Boxborough, boys’ volleyball, 11-5, is looking to turn its game around as the postseason starts.
According to senior Preston Yong, a captain with senior Ezekial Francisco, this year’s inexperienced team is doing just as well as last year’s.
“Every single position this year is filled by someone different from last year and yet with all of the inexperience, we have pretty much the same record as we did at this point last year,” he said.
After losing to a tough, 15-2 Acton-Boxborough team, Yong acknowledged that there are a few small things the Tigers needs to do to win in future close games.
“I think it’s just nerves of younger players and inexperience playing in intense games. We just need to keep our emotions in check and play the way we know we can,” he said.
If the Tigers accomplishes those goals, Yong believes the team can do very well in the post-season, saying they can go “all the way” and that no one can beat them.

Photo by Judith Gibson-Okunieff.
Photo by Judith Gibson-Okunieff.

Overall, Yong says the team has proven that it can contend with some of the great teams.
“During the Cambridge Rindge and Latin tournament, which we won, we played phenomenally against an absolutely fantastic Xaverian team.  If we play like we did against them it will be a challenge to beat us,” he said.
However, Yong added that there are a few teams that are very good at capitalizing on their opponents’ mistakes, and so the Tigers will have play their best when they face them.
“Honestly the entire South Section is good. If we make mistakes against any teams we play, especially Needham or Newton South , we could lose,” he said.
Yong added that Francisco has impressed him this year.
“This is his first year playing and he’s a major attacking threat now,” he said.
Yong also added that sophomores Jacob Connors and Jake Fallon have been impressive as well, and have played fantastically on the right side.
The Tigers next face greater New Bedford Regional in the South Sectional Quarterfinals Wednesday at 6.