Boys' outdoor track follows dominant winter season with hot start

by Jacob Gurvis

After a very successful winter season, the boys’ track program has started the season off strong. Boys’ outdoor track, 2-0, is performing very well, according to coach Jim Blackburn.

Blackburn said the team is “running and jumping well.”

Senior Gabe Montague, a captain with seniors Nick Fofana, Jackson King, and Mike Schlichting, is happy with the team’s training thus far.

“We were expecting Needham to be a close meet, but it wasn’t at all, mostly because of our strong throwers,” he said.

According to Blackburn, the one area the Tigers need to improve in is hurdles.

Montague, on the other hand, believes that the team’s biggest necessity is staying healthy.

“We don’t need to improve on a whole lot. The main thing is to avoid injuries so that we can continue training continuously until the All-State meet,” he said.

The team has been doing well so far, and Montague and Blackburn both noted Fofana as a standout performer.

“Nick has been doing well as always and scoring us a lot of points by winning many events,” said Montague.

Blackburn also mentioned Montague, Schlichting, and sophomore Jared Prior as players who are performing well for the Tigers.
Both Blackburn and Montague have high hopes for the season.

“Our goals are to win the Bay State League title and State title again, as we did in indoors and last spring outdoors,” said Blackburn.

In addition to winning the League and State titles, Montague also has his eyes on even higher accomplishments.

“Some of us also hope to keep up our training past that point so that we can compete in Nationals. Also, we hope to have another undefeated season,” he said.

The New Balance National Outdoor Track tournament takes place June 13-15 in North Carolina.