Senior Anthony Alecseenko wins CVTE Student of the Year

Anthony A
Senior Anthony Alecseenko sits next to his drafting computer. Photo by Judith Gibson-Okunieff.

by Nalini Khurana
Senior Anthony Alecseenko of the drafting program recently won the Outstanding Student of the Year Award from the Career and Vocational Technical Education (CVTE) department.
According to Alecseenko, the drafting program has not won the award in many years. Alecseenko said, “For me, this award represents the work I’ve put in all these years inside school and outside of school. It’s special for me, but it’s also special for all of the drafting program.”
According to the official award criteria of the Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators, the winner must be a senior in an eligible CTVE program. They must also have have a minimum GPA of 3.5, vocational competence in career field, good attendance, leadership qualities, CTVE related work experience, extracurricular activities, community involvement, and a respect for human differences.
Seniors who fit this criteria may be nominated for the award. Then, each of the finalists is interviewed by a large committee.
The finalists this year were Alecseenko, senior Thomas Hodgson from Graphics, and senior Spencer Ross from Culinary.
“All three students were absolutely amazing,” said Diana Robbins, CTVE director. “This was one of the most difficult years for the committee to make a choice.”
All three finalists were honored at a recognition day on Thursday, Jan. 23. The committee announced Alecseenko as the winner Friday, Jan. 24. On April 10, there will be a statewide banquet for all of the winners held at Mechanics Hall in Worcester.
Drafting teacher Andrea Shurtleff said of Alecseenko, “He has always shown commitment to growing as a student. He looked for other opportunities to design outside of school and actively sought out internships.”