Wrestling struggling with large team size

by Adam Rabinowitz

Wrestling, 6-5, has had a satisfactory start to the season, according to coach John Staulo.

The team’s large size has caused problems for the team so far in the season, according to Staulo.

“We have 52 kids on the team, and it is difficult for the kids to find good leaders to follow,” he said.

However, Staulo added that there is a core group of players who are a strong influence on the  others.

“There are about six or seven kids who did some preseason training, and their hard work is really affecting the other players,” added Staulo.

According to Staulo, senior captain Scott MacDonald, a captain with senior Alex Cuccurullo, and sophomore Brandon Altieri have been doing especially well this season.

Staulo noted that junior Joseph Arcuri has also been having a great season, currently holding a 9-1 record with nine pins.

The team’s goals for this year have remained unchanged from previous seasons, according to Staulo.

“Our goal is to get everybody to have an understanding of hard work. By the end of the season we want season to be better on and off the mat. If we do that, the wins will take care of themselves,” he said.

Staulo doesn’t want the team to focus on the postseason, but on its current matches.

“There have been too many matches over break for us to really focus, and we should have more than five wins,” he said.