Boys' basketball avenges loss with win over Brookline

Senior Korey Mui dribbles away at a recent game.

by Jonny Levenfeld

Keyed by strong play from senior Korey Mui and sophomore Tommy Mobley, boys’ basketball defeated rival Brookline on the road 65-57 Tuesday, improving to 14-2 overall and 12-1 in Bay State Conference competition, according to coach Paul Connolly.

Mui scored 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds while Mobley continued his hot streak with a solid performance of 19 points and 7 rebounds. Mobley had scored 35 points or more in the last two games.

The Tigers fell to Brookline at home earlier in the season and trailed the Warriors 38-31 in the final seconds of the first half. As time expired, sophomore Sam Jefferson nailed a three pointer to cut the lead down to four.

Jefferson’s shot was a big momentum booster going into halftime, according to Connolly, and from there, the Tigers never looked back. “We came out strong in the second half and played great defense, holding Brookline to 19 second half points,” he said.

Senior T.J. McNicholas, a captain with senior Seamus Bruno and junior Jack Boucher, attributed the team’s success to a balanced attack. “It was a real team performance. Everyone made a contribution,” he said.

According to McNicholas, the team will work on “continuing to come together and becoming more offensive-minded” going forward.

The team’s upcoming home game against Framingham has been moved from Friday to today due to the predicted snow storm.