Freshman football improves throughout season

by Douglas Abrams

Despite the team’s losing record of 2-9,  members of freshman football made great improvement and connected during the season, according to coach William Joiner.

Joiner said his primary goal for the team this season was to “just let the kids have fun and improve as players.”

According to Mike Gately, the team bonded throughout the season and members improved as football players.

Joiner said that “no players quit during the season,” which in part fostered the strong connections between the boys.

He said that even though the team had a losing record, he is still happy with the outcome of the season.

According to Gately, “Everyone played hard, and that is all you can do sometimes. Some plays just might not go your way, and a lot of our games were close. Usually, there was only one play that made the difference.”

One highlight of the season was the Tigers’ final home game against Brookline, a 21-6 win. Gately also said that this game was memorable because “Trever Martinez Tobin and Thomas Joyce connected for a 70 yard passing touchdown,” he said.

“The whole team was sitting in the locker room ready and Mr.Guisti came to give a speech he put a fire in us that wouldn’t stop until we would beat Brookline.”

Joiner said, most importantly,“The kids grew close and improved every day.”