Dance prepares for competitions

[media-credit name=”Paulina Romero” align=”alignleft” width=”179″] Senior Caroline Nunberg, junior Mariajose Lozada-Ollva and sophomore Julia Techler practice in the cafeteria Wednesday.
by Ryan Condon
Winter dance team is preparing physically and mentally for its three competitions this season, according to senior Piper Sharkey, a captain with seniors Georgina Miles and Caroline Nunberg.
The team will compete in Bay States, the New England Cheer and Dance Competition and States this season. The competitions will be during February and March, according to Sharkey.
According to Nunberg, the team is preparing similarly for this season as it did for the fall season. “Individually, we are all trying to learn new skills and tricks to be able to incorporate into our routine,” she said. The team’s new members have been able to “jump right in and dance with the rest of us,” according to Nunberg.

This is also the squad’s first season with a male dancer, freshman Josh Brusilovski. “It’ll be interesting to see how our coach incorporates him into her choreography,” Sharkey said.

According to Sharkey, one of the team’s goals for the season is to place first at Bay States, where last year it finished second.

Sharkey also wants the team to learn to bond and trust each other more. “Building trust between teammates makes an all-around better team,” she said. “So far, all of the dancers seem to fit in great and are just as dedicated and hardworking as the rest of the team.”