Undefeated girls' track continues successful season

[media-credit name=”courtesy Jack Prior” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Senior Kayla Prior lands a 16 ft. 1 in. in long jump at the Division I State Relays in Franklin. Prior combined with juniors Maeve Larkin and Kaila Hatcher for a third place with 46 in. 2 ft.

by David Kwartler

Girls’ track defeated Walpole at home Wednesday, April 18, 91-45. The team continues to be undefeated, boasting a record of 4-0.

“The team performed really well against Walpole despite missing some of our key scoring team members during vacation. Each of the girls stepped up and performed her best against a very respectable team,” said senior Kayla Wong, a captain with senior Maggie Heffernan.

“We did a great job of taking advantage of the nice weather conditions and running very competitive races all across the board,” Wong said.
At the meet, Wong won the 100-meter relay with a time of 12.7 seconds and the 200-meter relay with a time of 26.0 seconds. Also notable was freshman Isabella Reilly, who won the 400-meter relay with a time of 62.9 seconds.
According to Tranchita, other strong performances included junior Carla Forbes, who won the long jump event with a distance of 17 ft. 11 in. and the triple jump with a distance of 38 ft. 5 in. Additionally, junior Meghan Bellerose won the 800-meter relay with a time of 2:17.

Working on consistency of performance and depth among all of the events could improve the team, according to Tranchita. “The team has a tremendous attitude and desire to improve and succeed,” said Tranchita.

The newer members of the Tigers have greatly improved over the first half of the season, and Tranchita hopes they will continue to improve as the season goes on, he said. “We will definitely be a fiercely competitive team at the State level meets toward the end of the season,” he added.

The Tigers won the Division I State Relays Saturday. Forbes and senior Kayla Prior achieved a new meet record of  108 ft. 2.5 in. in the triple jump.

The team’s goal is to finish undefeated and earn its 22nd league title in 24 years. The Tigers also would like to win its third consecutive State Finals title and to achieve 180 team personal records during the season, according to Tranchita.