School pilots Collaborative Teaching Community

[media-credit name=”Nina Kaplan” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

A freshman curriculum II class studies for a test.

by Amanda Hills

School psychologist Colleen Meigher announced during Tuesday’s faculty meeting that a new program, Collaborative Teaching Community (CTC), will be piloted in fall 2013 as a support system for freshmen, focusing on about one-third of the freshman class.
The first year of CTC will consist of nine to twelve teachers who teach several curriculum II classes and two to three guidance counselors who will work with all the students involved. It is a way for a select group of faculty to coordinate and discuss how to best help these students. As of now, only English, history and physics teachers will be involved in this group.
History teacher Gregory Drake, who is involved in planning CTC, described it at the faculty meeting as “teachers wrapping around students.” Drake clarified at the meeting that students will register for and attend their classes as they regularly would and will not be in specialized English, history or physics classes.
A similar system has existed for about eight years at South and has been in the works at this school for two years, according to Meigher.
Participating students will also have directed studies or academic support blocks, depending on each student’s needs. These study blocks are designed to support student-teacher interactions, according to Meigher.
A CTC coordinator will be appointed in order to facilitate this program.
Principal Jennifer Price said at the meeting that between now and the program’s set start date 17 months from now, many of the logistical concerns will hopefully be resolved.