Girls' gymnastics displays new talent

[media-credit name=”Nina Kaplan” align=”alignright” width=”201″][/media-credit]

Sophomore Amanda Forrester does a cartwheel in the SOA
by Douglas Abrams
Thanks to new talent,  girls’ gymnastics, 8-1, has improved from last year and has had a promising season, according to senior Lena Golick, a captain with juniors Allie Hurwitz and Lili Margolin.
Currently, the Tigers are getting ready for the postseason.
“We wanted to break the school record for total points at a meet, beat Wellesley and win Bay States,” Golick said. So far, the team has accomplished one of these goals by scoring over 140 points, enough to make a new school record.

However, the team has only improved this much this season because of a well defined strategy that has been used all season. The strategy, according to coach Jim Chin, is to increase the difficulty of the routines.

There has also been an increase in talented gymnasts on the team, he said. The increase in talent has allowed for “giving girls some rest while other girls filled in and overcame injuries.”

The team’s success can also be attributed to the captains, along with star gymnasts sophomore Julie Wang and freshman Amara Lutwak. According to Chin, “Both score in the mid to high eight range, but they have made it into the nines on some occasions,” said Chin.

Throughout the season, there have been three extremely memorable meets against Needham, Braintree and Wellesly, according to Chin.

The meets against Needham and Wellesly showed just how much the team improved. According to Chin, last year the team lost both meets because Ariana Paone, a key gymnast, was injured.

Again, this year Paone was injured for the Needham and Wellesly meets. “Revenge was a factor,” said Chin. However, the Tigers won both meets “because we have such as strong team,” said Chin.

Sunday, Jan 22, the team faced off against Wellesly. The Tigers and Wellesly came into the meet undefeated. However, the Tigers lost to Wellesly, and their perfect record was tarnished, according to Chin.

“This has truly been the best season that Newton North girls’ gymnastics has ever had. I am personally so proud of every girl on the team and all of our accomplishments. We hope to continue our strong season through Sectionals and States,” said Golick. This year, the Tigers have made huge leaps, improving as a whole and avenging last year’s defeats, according to Chin.