Subvarsity boys’ soccer emphasizes development

JV defeats Weymouth

by Fatema Zaidi
JV boys’ soccer, 7-9-2, consisted of members from all classes yet still showed incredible team chemistry, according to sophomore Sam Jones, a captain with junior Gilad Seckler.
“Although we started really well and got off to a great start, we got to the middle of the season and lost three games in a row,” Jones said.
“We just lost our momentum when we played quality teams.”
The team’s main goal was to win as many games as possible, said Jones.
“In order to do that, we needed to improve ourselves so that we could really communicate on the field,” he said.
A highlight of the season was the Tigers’ 1-0 home win against Weymouth, Jones said.
“In the last minute of the game, we scored, and we fought a really tough team and didn’t give up,” Jones said.
According to coach Peter Goddard, the strengths of the team were its transitions and ball movement.
“We built up an attack well. Freshman Will Gerard emerged as a good facilitator in the midfield. Junior Zach Balder was converted into a dangerous striker,” Goddard said.
“We had a solid back four of two freshmen, Brett Stanton and Ben Porter, and two juniors, Seamus Bruno and Gilad Seckler. Sophomore Ryan Milione was unbelievable steady all year. Junior Ben Holland was always a threat to shoot from anywhere,” he added.

’15 rotates captains

by Amanda Hills
Freshman boys’ soccer, 4-10, was a “hard-working team with good chemistry and communication between players,” according to coach Tom Barry.
Quinn Mayville agreed that one of the Tigers’ strengths was “working as a team.”
Barry said the team focused on being more aggressive and “playing tougher.” The Tigers also worked on applying what they learned in practice to their matches. “We’d do something well in practice, but it was difficult to do the same in a game,” he said.
Each game, two to three players were chosen to be captains for that match, according to Barry.
This gave everyone on the team the chance to see what it’s like to be in a leadership position, he said.
He hopes that his players continue to play soccer. “The JV and varsity demands are higher. I hope they put in the work out of season,” Barry said.