HLU Day educates community about Hispanic, Latinx experiences

North’s Hispanic and Latinos Unidos (HLU) club celebrated HLU Day with the North community Friday, April 5 with various speakers, including Hispanic political and business leaders.

“We are very happy to accept and educate others about the HLU community,” said sophomore Vero Schiff, a club member.

Meeting weekly during Tiger, the HLU club aims to celebrate the achievements and cultures of Hispanic and Latinx Americans, as well as raise awareness on current issues, according to Tellado. It also hopes to share the diversity of HLU populations at North and beyond, she added. 

HLU Day celebrates Hispanic and Latinx cultures and aims to connect yearly presentations to the Hispanic Heritage Month theme of the year. This school year, it was “Latinos Driving Prosperity, Power and Progress in America,” according to Spanish teacher Ana Tellado, the club advisor. 

“HLU day brings Latino and Hispanic students at NNHS a sense of visibility and connection, and since our Latino community continues to grow here at NNHS, it is even more important to assure that voices are heard and students feel seen by our community,” said Tellado.

Albie Alvarez-Cote, the owner of Che Empanada Restaurant, spoke during G block about her life as a Hispanic business owner. 

Jonathan Paz, former Waltham City Councilor and son of Bolivian immigrants shared how his ethnic origin influenced his view and career in politics during C block. 

The club also had its first bake sale and fundraising event after school. 

“I hope that in the future we get to do more with the club and also have many members who are motivated to influence others throughout Newton North,” said Schiff.