Girls basketball defeats Milton at the annual senior night

Senior Nadia Briggs sprints passed Milton players for a shot, Saturday, Feb. 18.
Instagram @newton_north_tigers

Girls’ basketball defeated Milton 51-36 Saturday, Feb. 10, in the Reggie gym. The game served a dual purpose as senior night, a special occasion dedicated to honoring the graduating seniors and acknowledging their achievements. 

The first quarter kicked off with North displaying a strong lockdown defense and aggressive gameplay. Senior Maggie Scanlon, a captain alongside seniors Eva Mescher, Helen Ruane, and junior Devon Burke, made a significant impact by securing three steals in the sole quarter.

During the second quarter, the Tigers maintained their energy levels and consistently executed intelligent offensive plays, relying on accurate passes to obtain easy points in the post. According to Mescher, the team’s success stemmed from their deliberate and patient ball movement, allowing them to create favorable shooting opportunities. 

On an inbounds play, sophomore Allie Danis successfully sank a three-pointer with only three seconds left on the clock, concluding the first half with North leading 25-12. “It was fun to see all of us play and the sophomores stepping it up on this senior night,” said Scanlon.

After halftime, Milton initiated a robust offense but North countered effectively by distributing the ball, allowing five different players to contribute points, keeping Milton’s defense on their toes. 

As they entered the fourth quarter, North aimed to close the game off strong with precision in their perimeter shooting and tightened defense. Remarkably, all of North’s fourth-quarter baskets were three-pointers and they also significantly reduced their shooting fouls.

The Tigers maintained both intensity on the court and supportive cheers from the sideline throughout the game. The team displayed exhilarating skills, securing a well-deserved victory.

Todd Sundstrom, the head coach, expressed pride in the team’s performance. “They showed great skill and effort the entire game and I’m just really happy for them,” he said. “The combination of all these seniors and all the leadership helped us through a really tough year in a lot of ways.”

The Tigers, 9-6, will play Framingham at home Thursday, Feb. 20.