Boys basketball falls to Needham in home thriller

Boys’ basketball suffered a heartbreaking 36-38 loss against the Needham Rockets Monday, February 11, at home. A devastating late-game sequence prepared the Rockets for a winning shot with 0.3 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

Reflecting on the game, special education teacher Paul Connolly, the head coach, said, “We held them to single-digit quarters, but we held ourselves to single-digit quarters. We had two single-digit quarters ourselves. We just have to do a better job of putting the ball in the basket.”

The Tigers kicked off the game with a strong first quarter, showcasing hustle for loose balls, securing offensive rebounds, and capitalizing on second-chance opportunities to secure a 13-10 lead by the quarter’s end.

Although the game ended with a tally in the “L” column, Connolly had no shortage of praise for the team. “I’m really proud of my guys for staying together and staying strong. I’m super proud of the effort, and the adversity that we’ve faced,” said Connolly.

The Tigers struggled offensively in the second quarter, managing to score just four points. As the first half came to a close, the Tigers were trailing 21-17, a result of the Rockets’ strong zone defense. The third quarter showcased the Tigers’ resilience, limiting the Rockets to just six points. They seized a lead of 28-27 as they headed into the fourth quarter.

In the fourth quarter, junior Teagan Swint committed a crucial foul with less than forty seconds left, allowing the Rockets to retain possession for the final shot. Despite the Tigers’ efforts, the Rockets sank a mid-range shot, draining the energy out of the Reggie and sealing the Tigers’ fate. 

“Players make plays, we have great players who are going to make great plays,” said freshman Jake Lyons, a point guard. “I’m not worried about it. We know we can do a lot better.”

The Tigers, 10-6, will play BC High at home Friday, Feb. 16.