Student groups rally in support of teachers amid strike

Senior+Danielle+Morrill%2C+juniors+Mady+Daley%2C+Ellie+Fahey%2C+Cecelia+Sheehan%2C+and+freshman+Caroline+Fahey+pose+for+a+picture+outside+the+Education+Center+Tuesday%2C+Jan.+23.+
Gabby Staz
Senior Danielle Morrill, juniors Mady Daley, Ellie Fahey, Cecelia Sheehan, and freshman Caroline Fahey pose for a picture outside the Education Center Tuesday, Jan. 23.

Girls’ hockey, along with other student groups, attended the Newton Teachers Association (NTA) rally to show their support for educators at the Education Center Tuesday, Jan. 23, the fifth day of the strike. 

“We really wanted to support our teachers, and we thought that if students and teams came as well as teachers, that it would help the mayor come to a decision,” said junior Ellie Fahey, a girls’ hockey team member. 

The team sported their hockey jerseys, proudly displaying their involvement in the North community while supporting their teachers and educators. 

According to Fahey, the hockey team has had two games canceled so far, and is “on [its] own” for practices. “Our captains have stepped in, and we’ve been doing captains practices, but we haven’t been able to contact our coaches, so it’s hard,” said Fahey. “We support the NTA, and we want to get back to school.”

Members of girls’ soccer also gathered at the rally to express their solidarity with the union. 

“It’s the children that are being harmed,” said senior Betina Kreiman, a co-captain. “So please make a decision as fast as you can, and please, please help the teachers so that we can get back to school.”