Field hockey displays grit, spirit in loss to Natick

Field hockey fell to Natick 2-0 in a hard-fought, breakneck match Monday, Sept. 18 at home. 

“We were out of our game from the beginning and weren’t able to recover,” said health and wellness teacher Lauren Baugher, the head coach. “It was one of those days where it was just a bad game all around, and against good teams, you can’t have days like that and expect to win.” 

Just seconds into the first quarter, senior Danielle Morrill, a key forward, was taken out after a hit to the knee. Quickly bouncing back from this early shock, North had a solid first quarter but was unable to score. Although no goals were scored, the first quarter was played at a rapid pace because substantial rain caused the ball to move faster.

The game remained scoreless in the second quarter, with both teams failing to convert numerous shot opportunities. Natick was quick with ball-handling, forcing the Tigers to stay on their toes. While Natick came close to finding the back of the net, North’s defense rescued them from multiple dangerous situations by taking big hits to get the ball out of the circle. 

North’s defense was strong but the offense struggled. “We had difficulty hitting balls through and cutting in front of the defense when trying to receive a ball,” said sophomore Alexis Blanchfield, a forward. “That’s why we couldn’t create much offense.” 

Both teams came into the third quarter with considerable spirit, eager to score. Driven by this energy, Natick began to get more opportunities. “Natick’s passing combinations were really good, they were able to execute one on one skills and eliminate our defense,” said Baugher. Natick ultimately pulled into the lead after scoring with a high shot to the top of the net. 

In the fourth quarter, North continued to play hard, undeterred by the increasing rain. Despite their best efforts, North faced multiple defensive corners. Natick did not convert on these corners, but they were able to score on a breakaway, cementing a 2-0 win. 

Despite facing their first loss of the season, the team remains optimistic about the season ahead, according to senior Lila Sox, a captain along with senior Sophie Mathewson. “I think this game gives us a really good opportunity to learn,” said Sox. “Now we’re trying out some new stuff with spacing and I think it’s gonna do really good things for us.” 

Baugher expressed similar optimism. “Every day we keep improving,” she said. “I’m excited to see how we’re gonna instill a new formation and put more offensive pressure on teams,” she continued. “The more that we play together the better we are going to be, so I’m really excited to see where we are at the end of the season.” 

The Tigers, 5-1-1, will face Walpole at home Tuesday, Sept. 26.