Vincenzino awarded Italian studies scholarship

Senior Jenna Vincenzino (photo courtesy of Vincenzino)

Esha Bhawalkar, News editor

During Italian Heritage Night Tuesday, Oct. 3, senior Jenna Vincenzino was awarded the Joseph J. Albanese scholarship by the Italian Consulate of Boston for her Italian studies. 

“This is a really big honor, and being the only student from Newton North to win this feels even more special,” said Vincenzino. “It’s really nice to represent my school and classmates.”

The event took place at the Dante Alighieri Society of Massachusetts in Cambridge, where over $20,000 in academic scholarships were awarded. One student from Wakefield and one student from Medford received scholarships as well.

“Jenna also had many extracurricular activities and is very passionate about her studies. She wants to be an Italian teacher in the future, so she had an advantage in the selection process,” said Italian teacher Silvia Dupont. Dupont added that she nominated Vincenzino because of her outstanding academic performance.

“I just wanted to say how grateful I am for Ms. Dupont,” said Vincenzino. “She’s helped me so much and I’m so thankful for everything she’s done for me and how much better she’s made me at Italian.”

Six other students from North were also nominated.

According to Vincenzino, she has been learning Italian since she was four years old, and began studying the language at the Ciocaro Social Club in Nonantum. 

“My parents and family have always been super supportive of me. My dad used to teach me Italian at home, and it makes me feel very connected to my culture and heritage,” she added.

Vincenzino has been noticed by teachers and students alike for being curious, a good student, and a hard worker, according to Dupont.