Girls’ track, 7-0, places first, wins State Championship title

[media-credit name=”courtesy Jack Prior” align=”alignleft” width=”300″]girls' track[/media-credit]

Senior Emily Hutchinson competes in the high jump Saturday, May 28 at the Division I State Meet.

by Perrin Stein
Girls’ outdoor track, 7-0, participated in the Division I States May 28, finishing its season in first place. This was an improvement from the Tigers’ second place finish at the meet last year.
According to coach Joe Tranchita, the Tigers had a lot of difficulty practicing directly before the State Meet. Despite the hardship, the Tigers were able to pull through, winning the meet with a score of 93.5.
The Tigers ran at the South Shore Principals Meet May 21, won the team title for the sixth straight year and achieved nine personal records, according to Tranchita.
May 14, the Tigers “had their best day ever” at the Coaches’ Invitational Meet at Durfee, he said.
The Tigers spent a lot of time preparing for the meet, but they had trouble practicing due to the large amount of rain over the past few weeks.
“The kids rose to the occasion, taking full advantage of the nice day and great facility,” he said.
Sophomore Carla Forbes was named the Outstanding Event Performer for her meet record of 40 ft. 1.5 in. in the triple jump.
The Tigers were to have participated in All-States at Bridgewater State College yesterday. Participants qualified for this meet by earning one of the top four scores at the Division I State Championship.
Overall, the Tigers worked hard throughout the season, showing incredible strength and confidence, according to senior Amy Ren, a captain with senior Ellen Goldberg.
Through their hard work, the Tigers were able to overcome the somewhat difficult transition to the new building and the fact that the team had 90 members, Ren said.
Despite these challenges, “We have really developed into a strong unit as well as strong individuals,” she said.
“I think this is due to our hard work and good performances at meets,” Ren said.