Boys' soccer triumphs in come from behind victory

Boys’ soccer defeated Cambridge Rindge and Latin 2-1 Saturday, Nov. 6 at home, in round two of the MIAA Tournament.

North struggled at the start, allowing Cambridge to control most of the possession for the first 10 minutes of play. Just seven minutes into the first half, North gave up an early goal, giving Cambridge a 1-0 lead.

“I think we got to fix the first ten minutes–we got a little carried away in the moment,” said Roy Dow, the head coach. “We got away from what we do.”

However, after giving up the goal North began playing more aggressively and passing the ball effectively. They generated several scoring opportunities and eventually capitalized. Senior Akash Sahadevan, a captain with seniors Andrew Nielsen, Rialto Janairo, and Will Rooney, netted the tying goal to even up the score. The first half ended 1-1.

“They were pounding us in the first ten minutes, but we were able to attack back at them and put pressure in their own half,” said Sahadevan. North maintained that pressure consistently throughout the first half, outshooting Cambridge six to four.

In the second half, North and Cambridge entered a back and forth shootout. North generated a couple of scoring chances midway through the half, and with less than 20 minutes to go in the game, junior Rob Nicolazzo scored the go-ahead goal, on a spectacular pass from junior Matty Gillen putting North up 2-1. 

“I just shot it and it was crazy that it went in,” said Nicolazzo.

With plenty of time left in regulation, Cambridge mustered several shots that challenged junior Henry Baker, North’s goalkeeper, but Baker held strong as the clock winded down to zero. 

Baker acknowledged the support of North’s defenders. He said, “They put a big guy right in front of me so it kind of obstructed my view but my defenders really came in and cleared the ball out.”

North advances to the Round of 16 and will play Medford High school, Tuesday, Nov. 9, at home.