Open house previews exciting Theatre Ink line up for coming year

Students filled the auditorium with anticipation and excitement as Theatre Ink hosted its long-awaited open house night Monday, Sept. 13.

The open house provided students with an overview of the year and previews of various shows, including Nitrous Oxide, Spelling Bee, Froshcab, Lost and Found, Mamma Mia, and many more. 

“I think it’s really exciting, and I can’t wait to start,” said junior Jack Kalish Demaris. “I am working on a couple shows this year, and while we are worried about some of the restrictions this year, we are really excited.”

Last school year, COVID-19 hindered many productions, forcing students to navigate challenges and inconvenient limitations. However, this year marks a new beginning for many students, families, and faculty alike. 

“No year is normal, COVID or no COVID, so the goal is to have everything inside with no restrictions, outside of obviously masks,” said Theatre Ink Director Adam Brown, “In theatre, there are curveballs, and you just have to roll with it.”

According to Brown, the students and faculty will do their best to make this comeback year special. He said, “Whatever the obstacles are, we are going to make it work—we have great people and great leadership.”

During the pandemic, there were severe limitations. For instance actors had to stay six feet apart while singing, shows could not be performed in the Little Theater, and live audiences were limited during performances. With many of these restrictions lifted, outside of having to wear masks, some students are experiencing more normalcy for the first time. 

“Last year, we got to experience some of it and I never really done theatre at north in a normal year, so I am excited for it to go back to somewhat normal,” said sophomore Alexia Rindisbacher.

While students look forward to the in-person setting, North intends to still live stream performances for people who otherwise would not be able to attend. “I think that is super helpful for grandparents and others who can’t come,” said sophomore Nate Reilly.