North Hall of Fame class of '18 honored for past achievements

Photo by Joelle Sugianto

Tiger athletes of both past and present generations came together at the Sheraton Inn in Needham, Saturday, March 21, as the Newton North athletics department honored the induction of 10 former athletes into the Hall of Fame.
The 10 athletes inducted into the Newton North Athletics Hall of Fame were Jim Corsi ‘79, Walter Cox ‘72, Matthew Dias ‘97, Rashad Drayton ‘97, Shawn Lothrop ‘94, Allan Martin ‘57, Colleen Moore Gellert ‘98, Marcus Ruopp ‘02, Sam Shaughnessy ‘06, and Kim Visco ‘95.
Every year, along with the help of co-chair Jack Heavey, Giusti selects the ten inductees. “It’s very special to be a part of the Hall of Fame Committee and see these former students come back and share their successes,” said athletic director Tom Giusti.
“It’s an honor and a privilege to be here tonight,” said Dias, a former member of the soccer and lacrosse teams.
Many of the athletes spoke fondly of the influence athletic staff. Dias talked about the influence that North athletics had on him as a person. “The most valuable lessons that I learned were focus and discipline, and both of those came from my athletics,” he said.
Cox, a former member of both the hockey and lacrosse teams, similarly said, “Playing sports at North contributed to me becoming an adult.” Cox added, “All of the coaches and teammates have your back. I have the same friends today that I did from 50 years ago.”
Dias also said, “Some of my old teammates are still my best friends in life.”
Lothrop, a former member of the hockey and golf teams, discussed how lucky he was to attend a school with a good athletic program. “Everything is there for you. The opportunities are what you make them,” he said.
Drayton, a former member of the football, basketball, and lacrosse teams, felt, “The support was phenomenal; both athletically and academically.”
Giusti agreed with the inductees and said, “Newton North really helped shape and direct their lives.”