Mock Trial takes second at preseason competition

Mock Trial finished second place in the fifth annual Garden City competition held Oct.14 and 15 at South.
The team competed against representatives from seven other schools, finishing only behind Holy Name Junior/Senior High School from Worcester.
“It is a preseason competition,” said senior Ilai Gavish, a co-captain with junior Jeanne Duong. “So our primary goal is to give new members some trial experience and, in general, have people try out new roles and techniques.”
The competition consisted of three trials in which North represented the defense and their opponents represented the prosecution. The scoring was done by a panel of three judges, three South teachers, who each cast a ballot to decide the winner of the trial, according to Gavish.
“It went really well,” said Duong. “Not only did new and returning members get to try out new roles and gain valuable trial experience, but we also won every judge’s ballot for all three of our trials. Holy Name did the same, though, and they were put over us.”
Though the team did not come in first, Duong and Gavish see the experience as a positive sign for Mock Trial going forward.
“The point of preseason isn’t to win,” Duong said. “It’s about making sure everyone is acclimated to the experience and ready to go when the season does start.”
Gavish added, “The captains are really proud of the team. We’re proud of how the team performed, and we think we have a chance to remain undefeated this season on the way to the state championship.”