This week in arts: Fundraiser, community piano, Australia exchange

by Rose Bostwick
This coming week
Friday (5/6)
Theatre Ink’s fourth annual dinner and dance party fundraiser will be held from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m at the Union Street Restaurant in Newton Centre for adults only. All proceeds from the event go to North’s teaching and working theatre. Ticket prices are optional and range from $40 to $100.
This past week
Thursday (4/28)
Family Singers, directed by music teacher Adam Grossman, merged with the choir from Brookline High School in their performance at 8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center Lobby. The concert was Family Singer’s last individual performance of this year and next they will perform at POPS Night on May 19 in the cafeteria.
Saturday (4/30)
Art students placed a community piano in the Coletti-Magni Park in Nonantum. Designed and painted by North’s art students, the piano will now be available for public use. The Nonantum Neighborhood Association will list times for upcoming performances every weekend.
Students from North’s exchange trip to Australia returned Saturday night. A week-long exchange, a group of students from Theatre Ink, any music groups, or visual or fine arts classes explored the city of Melbourne and took classes at a local school. According to sophomore Angela Buras, the trip was a rewarding experience. “It was great making connections with a family and new people I wouldn’t have otherwise met,” said Buras. “The city and the school were beautiful, and being an art student, the trip was especially cool because of all the amazing artwork and graffiti we saw around the city.”