Mock Trial qualifies for State Championship

by Wendy Li
North’s mock trial team qualified for the National High School Mock Trial Championship for the first time in twelve years after defeating a bracket of various schools in the State Championship, according to junior Grace Choi, a co-captain with senior Young Oh.
North advanced to nationals in Boise, Idaho after defeating Boston Latin at the final trial round at the State Championship on Tuesday, March 29.
Now looking forward to a national competition, Choi said, “We’re going to have to work hard because it’s a whole other case. We’re going to have to do what we did in five months within a month, but I think we can do well.”
The team defeated Winsor School in the Final Four Round of the State Championship and Holy Name School in the quarter-final round of the championship at the Worcester Judicial Center, Monday, March 14.
I think it went well. It wasn’t our best I actually think our best was against Winsor, but Boston Latin was very good and I think we just did very well,” said Choi.
North succeeded in becoming one of the top eight teams in the state after defeating the state’s top 16 teams in a trial against Dighton Rehoboth in the round of 16 and Lenox Memorial in the round of 32, Sunday March 6, according to sophomore Ilai Gavish, a member of the team.
More students are becoming aware of mock trial at North, Choi added. Often associated with debate, the team is finally earning a reputation for its competitions, she said.
In mock trial, team members prepare to argue the defense or prosecution of a predetermined case. Team members perform arguments as attorneys and witnesses, hoping to win the trial and gain points.
In preparing for the State Championships, Choi felt most optimistic about Gavish’s closing statement, senior Bowen He and junior Isabella Jackson’s witness performances, and Oh’s experience as an attorney.