Boys' basketball starts the season hot

Senior Brett Stanton defends a Natick forward during the Tigers' 109-52 win over the Red Hawks.
Senior Brett Stanton defends a Natick forward as the bench watches during the Tigers’ 109-52 win over the Red Hawks. Photo by Robin Donohoe.

by MacKenzie Silvia
Boys’ basketball, 3-0, has started the season strong, including a 109-52 home win over Natick at home Friday.
The Tigers’ demolition of Natick demonstrated their lethal offense, as they connected on 16 three-pointers.
Junior Nate Hollenberg drives to the basket during the Natick game. Photo by Robin Donohoe.

“I think we have big plans for ourselves,” said senior Brett Stanton, a captain with seniors Sam Jefferson and Tommy Mobley. “A goal of mine has always been to win the Bay State Conference, and Tommy and I have a pretty special chance to win it in all four of our years on varsity,” Stanton said.
Coach Paul Connolly said, “The team has come together nicely during the first couple of weeks of the season.”
Connolly said he believes the intensity is coming from practices where “the boys are competing at a high level” is what is leading the team to success.
Although the team has been rolling so far, Stanton says that the Tigers still need to improve their help defense and defending as a team.
Jefferson said that “if we can address some deficiencies we may have on defense, whether it be a lack of height or a lack of quickness, that puts us in a good position to be successful no matter who the opponent is. When we are sharing the ball and shooting well, we can be unstoppable at times.”
Mobley said he believes the team “can really shoot this season.”
“A lot of people think about Sam and I as being knockdown three point shooters, but we have a lot of other guys who can shoot too. Like senior Elliot Sackman, and freshman Ethan Wright who have both hit a lot of threes so far. Some of our big men, Brett and senior  Thomas Maguire can step out as well,” Mobley said.
“If we get hot in a game, it’s really tough for teams to cool us down.”
Connolly is excited to continue on a high note and feels “fortunate to have such great student-athletes and loyal assistant coaches.”