Nomination forms due for Keegan, Elicker, awards

by Peter Diamond
Students are currently welcome to nominate teachers for the Paul E. Elicker and Brenda Keegan Awards for Excellence.
According to this school’s website, the Paul E. Elicker Award “seeks to recognize a teacher who has a deep appreciation and knowledge of subject matter, who stretches the minds of students, and whose standards for performance inspire excellence.” The Brenda Keegan Award “recognizes an educator who inspires students to think, both critically and creatively; who combines an extensive knowledge of an academic discipline with warm personal engagement with students; and who helps students consider the significance of their studies to their own lives.”
“The purpose is to give students and others a chance to recognize teachers who have shaped and moved them,” said English teacher Janice Miller, who organizes these awards. “For the teachers who are recognized, I think it shows them that their work is respected and has made a difference.”
Last year, Spanish teacher Juanita O’Neil and English teacher Sherri Ziomek shared the Elicker, and former biology teacher Jo-Anne Purdy won the Keegan.
To nominate teachers this year, students must fill out a form that consists of a brief write-up about the teacher’s impact and virtues. Nominations must be delivered to Miller’s mailbox in the main office by Wednesday, May 28.