Girls' hockey comes away with close win at home versus Dedham

by Jacob Gurvis

Girls’ hockey, 7-5, pulled out a win Wednesday at home against Dedham. With two goals by freshman Rachel Hamilton, the Tigers kept their lead and beat the Marauders 2-1, according to coach Bob MacDougall.

“Our skating was better and faster, and we stuck with what we wanted to do. We caused a lot of turnovers. It was a great job overall,” said MacDougall.

Dedham took a very quick lead, scoring on a slow dribbler that passed through the goalie’s legs forty seconds into the game. The Tigers were a little sloppy with their passing at first, but as the first period progressed, they got into a groove.
The game was very physical on both sides, with multiple penalties. The Tigers took advantage of their first power play, and Hamilton scored to tie the game 1-1 with five minutes left in the period.
“Those goals were huge. She’s been a dynamic player all year. This is great for her, and gives her more confidence,” said MacDougall.
Going into the second period, the Tigers were looking to take an early lead, and they did just that. Almost three minutes in, Hamilton scored again, this time, an even more impressive goal. The third period was scoreless, and the Tigers won yet another close game.
“We need to be better on our turnovers. It’s been a problem,” said MacDougall.
The Tigers, who started off 0-4, have really turned things around. MacDougall believes that the Tigers have become a rising team in the league.
“Dedham has always been a real tough team for us to beat. This win shows the league that our team is playing well, and that we’re a rising team in this league,” he said.
The Tigers play at home against Wellesley on Saturday, and MacDougall called it a “big game.” Following that, the Tigers play at Weymouth Tuesday, Jan. 29.