Music groups perform Holiday Concert

by Hilary Brumberg and Leah Budson
During the Holiday Concert E-block today in the auditorium, Concert Choir, Family Singers, Jubilee, Orchestra, String Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Tiger BeBop and Wind Ensemble festively wore red and green and sang holiday-themed songs in front of a red and green backdrop.
Below are videos of select holiday songs by all of the performing vocal and instrumental musical groups:

Orchestra, String Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble came together to play “Sleigh Ride” (above) by Leroy Anderson. Afterward, the four groups played different pieces individually.

Concert Choir sang “Gaudeamus” (above) and “Ashokan Farewell” by Jay Ungar.

Tiger BeBop then performed “The Christmas Song” by Mel Tormé.

Family Singers performed “Fa Una Conzona” (above) by Orazio Vecchi and then “Ching a Ring Chaw” by Aaron Copland.

Jubilee performed “Angels We Have Heard On High,” which music teacher Sheldon Reid arranged. Senior Anna Nemetz sang a solo.

At the end of the Holiday Concert, the four vocal groups, Concert Choir, Family Singers, Jubilee and Tiger BeBop, came together to sing carols. The first one they sang was “Carol of the Bells” by Peter Wilhousky.

Concert Choir, Family Singers, Jubilee and Tiger BeBop next performed the only Chanukah-related piece of the afternoon: “Oh Chanukah.”

In the last piece of the Holiday Concert, Concert Choir, Family Singers, Jubilee and Tiger BeBop sang “Joy to the World” by Isaac Watts.

Tomorrow C-block, there will be in-school caroling, sung by Concert Choir, Family Singers, Tiger BeBop and Jubilee Singers.

“In-school caroling is a long standing tradition,” said fine and performing arts department head Todd Young.

“It seems to me that for teachers and students it is a welcome thing on the last day before break,” he said. “You will be teaching or sitting in a class when all of a sudden you hear some music pass by.”

“I think for the students that are involved, it is fun and different than usual,” said Young.

The choirs will sing some of the songs performed in the Holiday Concert today, including “Carol of the Bell” by Mykola Leontovich and “O Chanukah.”