Preview: All-inclusive show to celebrate improvisation

[media-credit name=”Amelia Goldstein ” align=”alignleft” width=”300″] At last year’s “Improv Jam,” senior Billy Cohen and sophomore Elena Rodriguez play improvisational games with other members of the improv club.
by Maxwell Kozlov

“Improv Jam” is an improvisational Theatre Ink production that will take place Wednesday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. in the little theatre.

“Improv Jam is a casual, fun night of short-form improv comedy and games with plenty of audience participation,” said senior Sam Raby, a director with senior Nick Rodriguez and sophomore Elena Rodriguez.

All of the students participating in “Improv Jam” have attended at least one session of improv club, which meets Monday and Thursday X-blocks. Elena Rodriguez recommends “coming to improv club a few times so participants in ‘Improv Jam’ can learn the games we’ll be playing during the show and get a feel for improv.”

However, anyone is welcome to participate in “Improv Jam” by signing up on the callboard, as it is one of the two all-inclusive shows that Theatre Ink offers.

“Some actors who have never been a part of Theatre Ink seize this opportunity to take part in a show, and their energy transfers to the audience’s excitement, making for a great show,” said Elena Rodriguez.

Improvisation is great because “as soon as you get on stage, you are anyone you want to be. You know your fellow improvisers are there to back you up,” said Elena Rodriguez. “Improv means total freedom. When I am improvising, I know that anything can happen on stage, and anything can be created.”

In addition, according to Nick Rodriguez, “We will have plenty of audience participation, and I highly recommend coming if you want to have a great time on a Wednesday night.”
Tickets are five dollars and can be purchased at the door.