Ceremony honors varsity athletes

[media-credit name=”Nina Kaplan” align=”alignleft” width=”203″] Athletic director Tom Guisti makes a speech during the ceremony.
by Ryan Condon

Fall season student athletes received varsity letters and athletic awards during the Fall Sports Awards Ceremony Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

Team captains and coaches thanked parents, coaches, teammates and the athletic administration and gave brief summaries of each team’s season.

Some speakers highlighted specific accomplishments the teams made throughout the season.

The fall dance team, in its second year at this school, won the State Championship and won first and second place trophies at other competitions.

“We hit quite a few bumps in the road, and looking back, the girls learned some valuable lessons, growing as dancers and as people,” said coach Stephanie Hubbard.

Girls’ cross country qualified for All-States for the first time since 2004, where they placed seventh.

“This was a satisfying and fulfilling team to work with,” said coach Brandon Mogayzel.  “We couldn’t have had this season without such a high-spirited and dedicated team.”

Boys’ cross country placed first in the Bay State Conference Championship and accomplished its goal of beating Brookline, according to coach Jim Blackburn. Blackburn was named coach of the year by the Boston Globe.

Field hockey made the postseason before losing to Masconomet 1-0 Friday, Nov. 2 in overtime, after a controversial call let the opposing team tie the game.

Girls’ volleyball beat four undefeated teams this season, who combined had a record of 81-0 before facing the Tigers, according to coach Richard Barton. Barton was also named

[media-credit name=”Nina Kaplan” align=”alignright” width=”300″] Seniors Kaylee Spitaels, Julia Schlossman, Meghan Bellerose and Caroline Loftus present girls’ cross cross country during the awards ceremony.

coach of the year by the Globe.

Football will be playing at home Thursday against Brookline in the annual Thanksgiving game. Coach Peter Capodilupo said, “We consider ourselves lucky to have one more chance this season to go out there and be with the people in this room.”

One student athlete per team received an MIAA sportsmanship award for exemplary behavior on and off of the field throughout the season.

The following students received the award:

• senior Audrey Derobert, a captain of the fall dance team
  • senior Kaitlin Lyons-Dunkel for cheerleading
  • junior Charlie Goldberg, a captain of golf
  • junior Ryan Milione for boys’ soccer
  • senior Caroline Loftus, a captain of girls’ cross country
  • senior Brittany Yu for girls’ swimming and diving
  • junior Amelia Williams for girls’ soccer
  • senior David Demarest, a captain of boys’ cross country
  • senior Caileigh Byrne, a captain of girls’ volleyball
  • senior Ryan Gallagher for football