Girls' cross country beats Dedham, Framingham

by Ryan Condon

Girls’ cross country, 8-1, beat both Dedham and Framingham by a perfect score of 15-50 Wednesday at home, according to coach Brandon Mogayzel.

The track was rainy and muddy, according to senior Caroline Loftus, a captain with seniors Meghan Bellerose, Julia Schlossman and Kaylee Spitaels. “We managed the wet, slippery course with few injuries,” she said.

The meet was about setting personal records, according to Loftus. The team was able to produce 24 personal best times.

Loftus said, “Our girls ran hard, competing against Dedham, Framingham and each other.”

Sophomore Sonya Jampel finished first overall with a time of 20:03. Junior Evie Heffernan, freshman Leah Metzger, sophomore Isabella Reilly and Spitaels finished second through fifth, respectively. The squad also took places six through ten, according to Loftus.

According to Schlossman, the team is preparing for its meet at Brookline Tuesday Oct. 23. “We’ve had a lot of tough training lately, including hill workouts and longer distance runs,” she said.

The squad faces Wellesley at home Wednesday, according to Mogayzel. “They are a two-loss team and will be trying to tie us for second place in the Bay State Conference,” Mogayzel said. “They won’t be at full strength, but when they are, it’s a pretty even matchup.”