Review: Jubilee Singers honor traditions

[media-credit name=”Leah Budson” align=”alignnone” width=”300″]Jubilee Singers performed Saturday for their final concert of the year.[/media-credit]

Jubilee Singers performed its final concert of the year Saturday.

by Leah Budson

Jubilee Singers could not have a more fitting name. Jubilee means rejoice, a word that truly embodies the essence of Saturday’s concert.

The Jubilee Singers sang “Amazing Grace,” their final concert of the year, which was at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

According to Jubilee Singers director Sheldon Reid, the concert aimed to “remind us how much there is to rejoice about and to say thank you for.”

The lyrics of “Amazing Grace,” arranged by Reid, displayed this message.

The choir’s performance of “Amazing Grace” was a highlight of the night. It began with soft, low “oohs,” the singers’ voices gradually gaining strength. By the end of the song, the singers’ voices were incredibly powerful, contrasting beautifully with the song’s beginning and showing the full range of the choir’s ability.
[media-credit name=”Leah Budson” align=”alignright” width=”300″]Jubilee Alumni sing "Psalm 23" with the Jubilee Singers.[/media-credit]

Some alumni sing “Psalm 23” with the Jubilee Singers.

The choir also displayed this transition from soft and smooth to loud and energetic when they sang “Jubilee” by Reid and Jason Alexander Hinez. Like “Amazing Grace,” the piece began with smooth, soothing tones and gradually became faster and more upbeat.

When the song reached its peak in energy and volume, both singers and audience members clapped to the beat. Near the end of the song, the singers’ beautiful voices lowered in volume and tempo, finishing as it had started, with soft, slow tones.

Another highlight was the more contemporary piece “Use Me” by the Motor City Mass Choir in which junior Anna Nemetz soloed, singing with an impressively powerful voice.

The night was full of traditions, as well as music. Near the end of the concert, Reid called up the juniors to present gifts to the seniors, a Jubilee tradition, according to junior Madeline Murphy. Murphy and Michaela Berla-Shulock presented each senior with a rose, this year’s chosen gift.