The Student Foodie: Snow day snacks

The Student Foodie: This blog follows seasonal trends in culinary arts and offers fun and creative recipes that are easy for anybody to make. Check out more blog posts at theNewtonite.com. Graphic made by Julia Moss.

By Douglas Abrams
This time of year, there’s one thing that everyone hopes for: a snow day. And for the student foodies out there, a snow day is the perfect opportunity to make some wintery treats with a holiday flair.
But before we can really begin cooking up a storm, we need the perfect snow day drink: hot chocolate. Not just any hot chocolate––a cinnamon spice hot chocolate, with an easy shortcut. To begin, follow the directions on any packaged hot chocolate to get the correct ratio of water to hot chocolate powder. If you like, you can replace the water with milk for an extra-creamy texture.
Add about a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon and about an eighth  teaspoon of allspice to the hot chocolate powder. Then, add a few squeezes of chocolate syrup.
On top of the hot chocolate, I like to add a few mini marshmallows, some chocolate chips, and a final squeeze of chocolate syrup. The hot chocolate is warm, sweet, and creamy. The spices add a level of complexity that make an ordinary hot chocolate special.
I like to keep what I make on snow days simple. After all, the point is to relax. After hot chocolate, brownies are the next thing on my mind. With hot chocolate in hand, it is time to start cooking.
In the spirit of keeping things simple, I like to embellish a boxed brownie mix, rather than make them from scratch.
To do this, try adding chocolate chips or chopped nuts––I like pecans or almonds-—to the recipe.
Another easy way to turn up the volume on boxed brownies is to add spices. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, clove or allspice for a seasonal flare. Or maybe add some leftover coffee for a mocha flavored brownie. Yum.
Instead of plain old icing, try pouring a dark chocolate ganache, which is melted chocolate infused with heavy cream, on top of the brownies for a hit of intense chocolate. Get creative; a snow day is your day off.
I can’t imagine a better way to spend my snow day than in the kitchen cooking. Keep it simple, keep it fun, and keep it delicious.